Thursday, July 31, 2008 | By: sunnysuomi

This year's biggest rainbow, so far...

Yet another weekend at Vantaa river and how great it went. Sunday I spent there trying out both nymphs and streamers. It has been a successful day for both methods. First, I hooked and lost a very lively prime rainbow just after an hour of arriving. I tried again there for a short time, but i was certain that this rainbow will not take the hook for a while. :( I know, it hurt both of us. :P I went back to the car and stock up with food and some good juice. After which, I decided to keep pushing at the lower part of Nukari's rapids. It did not take long to hook a rainbow hiding between rocks in low water. Indeed, I would not think that rainbows keep cover in such a shallow water (I expected a brownie there.) So it was a good lesson, keep trying places even which you do not believe keep fish. :D

Now it was time to go back and hook again that tricky fat rainbow which i just lost this morning. In fact, it did not seem to be interested for any of my flies for quite a bit of time. When it finally hooked himself, he displayed quite a bit of show with various flips and flops and runs. I started to get a bit frustrated, because my rod was just a foot longer than it should be under this bridge. So, I jumped into the water (suddenly I gained like 4 feet :O) and managed to tire the fish and tuck it into my landing net. He was fat. :P Proved to be my largest rainbow this year, 1.9 kg. Hey, thanks for the excitement.

Later that afternoon, I still saw a rising rainbow but obviously my leeches did not match very closely to the flies it was focusing on. :P One day, I might manage to catch real trout on a dry. It will come. Though, I should keep trying to cast that dry. :)

Photos about the rainbows can be seen at my Flicker (start from this one).
Blogged with the Flock Browser

0 comments: