Thursday, July 17, 2008 | By: sunnysuomi

It is July, so everyone is relaxing :)

In Finland, July is the national vacation period. Some companies just scale down their production others completely close for July. People, generally, go to have at least 1 month vacation. Many prefers summer cottages spotted all around lakes, rivers, and sea banks in Finland. Obviously, many Finns go fishing during their holiday. However, that is mostly angling or "spoon casting".

Based on this information, at the weekend, I was confident to go fly-fishing and enjoy the "wilderness" alone. Due to sunny forecast, I tried to be there early, but managed to arrive only 7.30 am. Nevertheless, I was alone. :) Trying out one of my favorite spot, I was surprised by the low water and seemingly empty river. After an hour of trying, I walked to the upper section of the river where I managed to hook a branch deep in the river. I had to walk in and unhook the fly. At the same time, I unhooked a nice gold head olive leech. As it looked pretty, I gave it a try just about 5 m above where I disturbed the water. At that time other fishermen started to arrive too. In less then 5 minutes, I hooked a trout, which was quite a die hard and slipped by the net several times. By the time I landed the fish, another fishermen was waiting to take his turn at the pool. So, I gutted the rainbow trout and took it to my portable cooler.

I continued to fish in different parts of the river, but fish were shy or just did not like my flies. ;) Also, there were more fishermen and also some disturbance by trekking families and their urge to throw rocks into the river.<:|Thus, I went back to the place where I started that morning, but approached it from the other bank. There are some pools that you can reach easier from this side of the river. After a short testing, I hooked another rainbow. This was not too big, but I took as the day seemed to be quite empty otherwise. (You can take only two rainbows with this fishing licence.) Indeed, the rest of fishing was more like practicing. I hooked quite a few small brownies, one small grayling, and lost a nice rainbow.Most of them on were deceived by small goldhead leeches or nymphs.

As usual, I made some photos which will be uploaded soon to My Flickr.

Blogged with the Flock Browser

0 comments: