Monday, July 21, 2008 | By: sunnysuomi

Does it have to be like this?

At the weekend, I went for fly-fishing to my usual river. I was early, but not enough. At the bridge, I noticed at least 3 guts on the rocks (and smell), and blood over the concrete. Even though, I do not like this kind of disposal of fish remaining, my problem was not around this. I also noticed couple of shrimps (cleaned and hook marks in the middle) which suggests that those fish were not caught on fly. Same on you guys! Of course, everyone can hook a trout with shrimp (katkarapu in Finnish). (FYI, angling with live bait is forbidden at this part of the river.)

As I wrote, rainbow trout is not expensive in Finland. Indeed, you can buy them from 4-5 euros/kg or smoked ones for 9 euros/kg. Thus, I stand incomprehensibly and condemn you for your primitive and barbarian act.

I wonder if anyone managed to overcome this kind of behavior. Obviously, inspection alone does not work, because this happened during night. Not to mention, I would prefer educating people and not punishing them. (Fishing without licence and not following the fishing rules is punishable in Finland.)
I also have to say, I have been seeing fisherman carefully releasing brown trouts (under limit) and even rainbows (no length limit, but one can take only 2 per day). There is good example.

BTW, I am not a hypocrat. I do take rainbows from these rivers. I go there both for enjoyment of fishing and fish and I am happy when I have them both. I drive about 45 km for this section of river, so I expect to have fish and fun.

Due to the fish remainder, lots of fishermen tried at the bridge, but the pool seemed to be empty. Hopefully, it was rather due to frightened fish. I tried other places too and hooked some brownies of which one was nice and fat. :) (still under the limit). I also managed to land a nice rainbow; great colors and big belly. My newly tied goldhead leeches worked nicely. ;)

0 comments: